- Pick a Target Audience: “Focusing on a niche audience and developing appropriate content specifically for those people helps to ensure there will be strong interest in your blog's content.”
- Be Unique: “your primary and ongoing goal should be to continuously develop innovative content and put a truly unique spin on whatever topic you're blogging about.” Its your responsibility to, “incorporate your knowledge, voice and personality into your blog … to set it apart from your competition.” It’s important therefore to create content that isn’t already readily available on the web.
- Update Your Blog Regularly: “To build and maintain a steady audience, regularly add new content to your blog. Every new blog entry should cater to your blog's target audience, offer content that's perceived as valuable, and build upon previously published content.” This requires to stay on point with your target audience, and know your audience well. Sometimes this requires you to adapt and change based upon what your audiences needs are.
- Be an Interactive Online Community: “Encourage your audience to post feedback and comments, interact with each other, share their ideas, and enhance your content by adding their own information.” This can be done, via Share buttons to the various other Social Media Websites.
- Promote Your Blog Continuously: “Many of the world's most successful bloggers have relied on the mainstream media to generate publicity for their blog to help build an audience.” Therefore it is important that you promote your blog “on an ongoing basis [they say] is as important as regularly adding new content.”
- Keep it Professional: “Always convey a professional image, regardless of the subject matter or your audience. The look and overall design of your blog should be professional, and easy to read and understand.”